August 7: The second phase of Aadhaar Cards enrolment and issue of UID numbers has been started across the country. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is a prestigious project of Planning Commission, Government of India. Aadhaar card has been recognised by the Government as a multipurpose card which can be used for implementation of various welfare schemes and also also as proof of photo identity. The official website of Aadhaar is uidai.gov.in .
As per the Aadhaar / UIDAI authorities, about 22 crore people in the country already enrolled for Aadhaar Card. Out of these, over 19 crore Aadhaar numbers have been issued. And 18.5 crore Aadhaar letters have been dispatched to the concerned citizens. This is said to be the largest Biometric Database in the world.
Following are uses and procedure for getting Aadhaar Card / UIDAI Number:
1) The number / card is valid across the country as a proof of identity and address.
2) You need to enrol only once at any Aadhaar Center and any where in India.
3) Aadhaar cards will be issued free of cost for all residents including children, transgenders and differently abled people.
4) You need to give your or any of your family member's mobile phone number.
5) During the enrollment for Aadhaar, you can check the information and make changes on the spot, if any.