The Income Tax Department has send an email to all the tax payers to link their PAN with Aadhaar number through the website of the IT department at incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. The tax payers can now easily link Aadhaar and PAN and check the details as given below.
The initiative has taken by Income Tax department as it was reported that taxpayers were finding it difficult as their names did not match in both systems (Aadhaar and PAN). The IT department has come with a simple solution to this problem. Following is the simple procedure to link Aadhaar with PAN:
Procedure to link PAN and Aadhaar:
1) Just go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
2) Click on the link on the left pane - Link Aadhaar.
3) Now provide PAN, Aadhaar no. and ENTER NAME EXACTLY AS GIVEN IN AADHAAR CARD (avoid spelling mistakes) and submit.
4) After verification from UIDAI, the linking will be confirmed.
If any mismatch:
In case of any minor mismatch in Aadhaar name provided by the user, Aadhaar OTP will be required. The users have to ensure that the date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly same.
The users need not login to be registered on E-filing website to link Aadhaar and PAN numbers. This facility can be used by anyone to link their Aadhaar with PAN.
If both are completely different:
If the Aadhaar name is completely different from name in PAN card, then the linking will fail and taxpayer will be prompted to change the name in either Aadhaar or in PAN database. This facility is also available after login. Here is the procedure:
1) Go to Profile settings and choose Aadhaar linking.
2) The details as per PAN are pre-populated.
3) Now, enter Aadhaar no. and ENTER NAME EXACTLY AS GIVEN IN AADHAAR CARD (avoid spelling mistakes) and submit.
The entire process has been simplified and this will be useful for E-Verification of Income Tax returns using Aadhaar OTP (One Time Password.