BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money), developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is an aggregator for all UPI-based services offered by banks across the country. The app allows money transfer between any two bank accounts by using a smart phone with android operating systems. UPI allows a customer to pay directly from a bank account to different merchants, both online and offline, without the hassle of typing credit card details, IFSC code, or net banking / wallet passwords. BHIM directly connects to the banks. Following is the step by step guide on how to use BHIM app:
1) Android users can download the application (app) from Google Play Store by searching for ‘BHIM’. The app is currently not available for iOS users.
2) Install the BHIM application and choose your language. Users can check the official app only as there are several duplicates on the play store with the same name. You can find the logo of BHIM and developed by NPCI. The app will prompt you to verify your phone number using an SMS. Click on Next and wait for the verification process to be completed.
3) Once the verification process is complete, input a four digit passcode.
4) Now select your bank. All the major banks in India are available in BHIM app. Once the bank is selected, the app automatically picks up your details using your phone number. Select the primary bank account that will be used for all your transactions.
5) The app displays three options - send, request and scan / pay. Transactions are possible only between verified phone numbers.
6) If you want to send money to someone, type in their phone number and the amount to be transferred. The app will prompt you to input your MPIN, usually a four or a six digit code that authenticates a mobile transaction.
7) Likewise, you can request money from someone, using their phone number.
8) The third option, scan and pay, allows users to transfer money using a QR code, a two dimensional black and white barcode which can be decoded by a smartphone or a tablet. Each phone number is assigned a QR code which can be accessed under profile on the home screen.