Prakasam District headquarters are located at Ongole, Andhra Pradesh. It was carved out in 1970 from Guntur, Nellore and Kurnool districts. Originally calles as Ongole district and It was renamed as Prakasam district in 1972, in memory of the great patriot Tanguturi Prakasam Panthulu, who is known as Andhra Kesari (Lion of Andhra ). The areas drawn from other desitricts are Addanki, Chirala and Ongole from Guntur district' Kandukur, Kanigiri, Podili and Darsi from Nellore district and Markapuram and Giddaluru from Kurnool district.
Prakasam District is known for factional politics in the areas of Addanki, Martur, Ongole and Kanigiri. 2009 Assembly elections were almost one sided with thumping victory of the Congress Party in 10 constituencies out of total 12 seats. Praja Rajyam Party surprised all with noting a victory from Giddalur constituency. TDP has completely lost its sheen and managed to garner Markapur seat. Stalwart of TDP in the district, Karanam Balarama Krishna Murthy lost from Addanki constituency thanks to the dissidence from another group of BC Garataiah. Following are the present MLAs of Prakasam district.
1. Yerragondapalem: Audimulapu Suresh - Congress Party
2. Kondapi: Gurrala Venkata Seshu - Congress Party
3. Chirala: Amanchi Krishna Mohan - Congress Party
4. Darsi: Buchepalli Siva Prasada Reddy - Congress Party
5. Ongole: Balineni Srinivasa Reddy (Vasu) - Congress Party
6. Kanigiri: Ugra Narasimha Reddy Mukku - Congress Party
7. Kandukur: Maheedhar Reddy Manugunta - Congress Party
8. Parchur: Daggubati Venkateswara Rao - Congress Party
9. Markapuram: Kandula Narayana Reddy: Telugu Desam
10. Santhanuthalapadu: B.N. Vijay Kumar - Congress Party
11. Giddalur: Anna Rambabu- Praja Rajyam
12. Addanki: Gottipati Ravikumar - Congress Party
MPs of Prakasam District:
1. Ongole: Magunta Srinivasulu Reddy - Congress Party