Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is a constitutional body established by the Government of India to meet the human resources needs of the government. It was formed under Article 315 of the Indian Constitution. UPSC is the chief recruiter for most of the central government departments like administration, revenue, tax, excise, teaching, engineering, law and order etc. UPSC is known for strict examination norms and attained credibility in conducting recruitment tests for top rung positions of the Government. It releases schedule of various examinations for each year well before the announcement of official notifications.
Apart from scheduled examinations, UPSC also take up recruitment responsibilities for vacancies whenever and wherever they arise in respective government departments. Following are some important exams conducted by UPSC every year. UPSC follows high standards and quality in its selection procedure that includes written examinations at various stages like preliminary and mains along with personal interviews. You can visit www.upsc.gov.in for details of eligibility, exam structure, application procedure and old question papers for these examinations.
1. Civil Services Examination: For IAS, IPS, IRS and other top level posts in departments like Railways, Income Tax etc.
2. Combined Defense Services Examination (CDS): For various technical and non technical posts in armed forces.
3. National Defense Academy Exam (NDA): For training and appointment of young and dynamic candidates in Defense forces.
4. Combined Medical Services Examination (CMS)
5. Central Police Force (Assistant Commandants Exam)
6. Combined Engineering Exams (Engineering Services Examination)
7. Geologists Examination
8. Indian Economic / Statistical Services Examination
9. Indian Forest Service (IFS) Examination
10. Section Officers / Stenographers (Grade-B. Grade-I) Recruitment
11. Departmental Competitive Examinations