Karanam Balarama Krishna Murthy is a polit-bureau member of the TDP and was served 4 terms as an MLA from Martur and Addanki Assembly Constituencies of Prakasam district, Andhra Pradesh. Known as 'Ongole Tiger', Karanam Balaram was once a strong leader in the Congress Party when his rival Gottipati Hanumantha Rao was associated with the Telugu Desam Party. The factional politics between Karanam Balaram and Gottipati families was ended with Karanam Balaram shifting his focus from Martur to Addanki Constituency.
Karanam Balaram lost 2009 Assembly elections from Addanki Constituency largely due to rebel factor in TDP in the form of BC Garataiah. Karanam Balarama Krishna Murthy also served as President of the Prakasam District TDP Unit. He is accused in several cases and also was suspended from Assembly for 6 months for his objectionable remarks against Speaker KR Suresh Reddy.
Karanam Balarama Krishna Murthy has strong impact on the district politics. He has followers across the district and all constituencies. He also served as an MP of Lok Sabha during 13th Lok Sabha. Balaram's arch rival in Addanki Constituency, Bachinachenchu Garataiah has left the TDP after the denial of Addanki Assembly ticket and joined in the Congress and successfuly spoiled the winning chances of Karanam Balaram in 2009 elections. Following is the brief profile of Karanam Balaram:
1) Name: Karanam Balarama Krishna Murthy
2) Constituency and Party: Addanki (Prakasam District), Telugu Desam Party
3) Father's Name : Venkateswarlu
4) Permanent Address: Sarojinidevi Apartment, Ground Floor, Santhapeta, Ongole, Prakasam District.
5) Date and Place of Birth: 31st October 1947; Thimmasamudram Village
6) Educational Qualifications : PUC (Intermediate)
7) Profession: Agriculture
8) Number of terms elected to Assembly: 4 Terms
9) Number of Terms elected to Parliament: 1 Term
10) Marital Status : Married to Smt. K. Saraswathi
11) Number of Children: One Son and Two Daughters
12) Travels abroad: USA, Cuba, European Countries, Malaysia and Singapore.