The Government of India is proposed to introduce Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Act 2016 which is aimed at road safety and reduce accidents and fatalities. The Union Cabinet has approved the bill and has to go through Parliament before implementation.
Penalties and Compensations have been increased under the proposed Act. Following are the penalties for over speeding, violation of road regulations, drunken driving, vehicle without permit, speeding / racing, overloading, helmets, seat belts, driving without insurance etc.
Following are details of offenses and penalties:
1) General: Rs 500
2) Rules of road regulation violation: Rs 500
3) Travel without ticket: Rs 500
4) Disobedience of orders of authorities: Rs 2000
5) Unautorized use of vehicles without licence: Rs 5000
6) Driving without licence: Rs 5000
7) Driving despite disqualification: Rs 10,000
8) Oversize vehicles: Rs 5000
9) Over speeding: Rs 1000 for LMV and Rs 2000 for Medium passenger vehicle
10) Dangerous driving penalty: Upto Rs 5000
11) Drunken driving: Rs 10,000
12) Speeding / Racing: Rs 5,000
13) Vehicle without permit: upto Rs 10,000
14) Aggregators (violations of licencing conditions): New Rs 25,000 to Rs 1,00,000
15) Overloading: Rs 20,000 and Rs 2000 per extra tonne
16) Overloading of passengers: Rs 1000 per extra passenger
17) Seat belt: Rs 1000
18) Overloading of two wheelers: Rs 2000, Disqualification for 3 months for licence
19) Helmets: Rs 1000 Disqualification for 3 months for licence
20) Not providing way for emergency vehicles: Rs 10,000.
21) Driving Without Insurance: Rs 2000
22) Offences by Juveniles: Guardian / owner shall be deemed to be guilty. Rs 25,000 with 3 yrs imprisonment. For Juvenile to be tried under JJ Act. Registration of Motor Vehicle to be cancelled
23) Power of Officers to impound documents: Suspension of driving licenses u/s 183, 184, 185, 189, 190, 194C, 194D, 194E
24) Offences committed by enforcing authorities: Twice the penalty under the relevant section.