The Government of India has all set to launch Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana’ for senior citizens of the country. The scheme will be launched on 1st April, 2017 in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh. The scheme is aimed at providing Physical Aids and Assisted- living Devices for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
The devices to be distributed will include Walking sticks, Elbow crutches, Walkers / Crutches, Tripods / Quadpods, Hearing Aids, Wheelchair, Artificial Dentures and Spectacles. The scheme will benefot about 5,20,000 Senior Citizens in the country over a period of the 3 years.
Salient features of Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana Scheme:
1) Physical devices will be distributed free of cost and commensurate with the extent of disability /infirmity that is manifested among senior citizens.
2) In case of multiple disabilities / infirmities manifested in the same person, the assistive devices will be given in respect of each disability / impairment.
3) The devices will help the Senior Citizens to overcome their age related physical impairment and to lead a dignified and productive life with minimal dependence on care givers or other members of the family.
4) Beneficiaries in each district will be identified by the State Governments / UT Administrations concerned through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/ District Collector. At least 30 percent of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
5) The Government will utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/ UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category. The devices to the beneficiaries will be distributed in camp mode.