Srikakulam District is part of North Andhra Pradesh. The district is traditionally strong hold of Telugu Desam Party. But the 2009 Assembly elections were almost one sided with huge victories for the Congress Party. Out of total 10 Assembly Constituencies, Congress Party won 9 seats leaving Ichchapuram for Telugu Desam Party. Only Parliamentary Constituency in the district, Srikakulam also tilted towards the Congress Party. The veteran leader of the TDP, K. Yerran Naidu lost to Dr. Krupa Rani of the Congress Party from Srikakulam Parliamentary Constituency. The newly formed Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) failed in meeting pre poll expectations.
Srikakulam District is the second most backward district after Ananthapur in Andhra Pradesh, India. Another important feature is the district has the longest coast line in the state. Srikakulam district’s has boundaries are as follows: East and North – Orissa, West - Vizianagarma, and Bay of Bengal on the South. The district is still highly populated in villages. Only 10.98 percent of the district population is living in the towns.
Srikakulam Parliamentary Constituency includes Assembly segments of Sompeta, Narasannapeta, Srikakulam, Ichchapuram, Amadalavalasa and Etcherla. Important leaders from the district are Yerran Naidu, Dharmana Prasada Rao, Satrucherla Vijayaramaraju etc.
Following is the list of MLAs from Srikakulam district:
1. Srikakulam: Dharmana Prasada Rao – Congress Party
2. Ichchapuram: Piriya Sairaj – Telugu Desam Party
3. Rajam: Kondru Murali Mohan – Congress Party
4. Palasa: Juttu Jagannaikulu – Congress Party
5. Pathapatnam: Vijayaramaraju Satrucherla – Congress Party
6. Narasannapeta: Dharmana Krishna Das – Congress Party
7. Amadalavalasa: Boddepalli Satyavathi – Congress Party
8. Etcherla: Meesala Neelakantam – Congress Party
9. Tekkali: Bharati Korla – Congress Party
10. Palakonda: Nimmaka Sugreevulu – Congress Party
MPs from Srikakulam district:
1. Srikakulam: Dr. Killi Krupa Rani – Congress Party