Kum. Mamata Banerjee has created history by defeating the Left Democratic Front (LDF) in West Bengal Assembly elections 2011. She will be assuming the chair of Chief Minister of West Bengal on 18th May 2011. She is Union Minister for Railways in the UPA government at present (as on 13th May 2011). Mamata's party, Trinamool Congress has sweeped the polls in West Bengal. She has been in fore front in the fight against land allocations to SEZs in Singur and Nandigram of West Bengal. She waged about three decade war on LDF rule in West Bengal and finally succeeded in dethroning the CPI (M) lead government.
Mamata Banerjee was elected to Lok Sabha 7 terms. She held important portfolios like HRD, Coal and Mines, Railways and has been a member of various panels and house committees of Lok Sabha. She has come out of the Congress Party in 1997 and established her own political party, All India Trinamool Congress. Painting and music are hobbies. Following is the brief profile of Mamata Banerjee:
1. Candidate Name: Kum. Mamata Banerjee
2. Parliamentary Constituency: Kolkata Dakshin (South)
3. Father and Mother: Promileswar Banerjee and Gayetri Banerjee
4. Date and place of Birth: 1st May 1955, Kolkata
5. Marital Status: Unmarried
6. Party Name: All India Trinamool Congress
7. Permanent Address: 30-B, Harish Chatterjee Street, Kolkata-700 026, West Bengal.
8. Present Address: C-4, M.S. Flats, B.K.S. Marg, New Delhi-110 001.
9. Email id: email@example.com
10. Education: M.A., B.Ed., LL.B., Trained in Work Education, Studied at Calcutta University, West Bengal.
11. Important Positions Held:
a. General-Secretary, Mahila Congress (I), West Bengal
b. Elected to 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Lok Sabha
c. General : Secretary, All India Youth Congress (I)
d: Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development, Department of Youth Affairs and Sports; and Women and Child Development
e. Founded All India Trinamool Congress
f. Social and Cultural Activities: Mamata Banerjee has been associated with several social and human rights organisations working for the welfare of the poor, children and women. She has special interest in protecting human rights.
12. Chief Minister of West Bengal: From 18th May 2011.