Andhra Pradesh is gearing up for another round of Bye Elections in 2012 with the disqualification of 16 MLAs who are supporting YSR Congress Party but elected on the Congress Party ticket in 2009 Assembly elections. All the 16 MLAs were voted in support of the no- confidence motion introduced by Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in AP Assembly. The Congress Party has reported this to the Speaker of the Assembly and consequently disqualified from their membership. Another PRP MLA, Sobha Nagi Reddy has resigned from her party. With this the total number of MLA seats going to be vacant are 17. With the election of Chiranjeevi to Rajya Sabha, Tirupati constituency is also going for bye polls. The Election commission will have to conduct elections to these 18 Assembly constituencies along with Nellore Lok Sabha Constituency.
All the 16 MLAs were disqualified under Anti - Defection Law. of the Schedule 10 of the Indian Constitution. The only petition that is in pending is that of Balanagi Reddy of Mantralayam Constituency. He was elected as an MLA on the TDP ticket and has been showing loyalty to YSR Congress Party. AP Assembly Speaker heard on the petitions of the parties and delivered his decision disqualifying these members under various sections of Anti Defection Law.
Election Commission is likely to conduct bye elections to these constituencies in May - June 2012. The EC has already issued bye elections notification to 7 Constituencies in Telangana Region including one seat from Nellore district (Kovvur). Following are the names of MLAs disqualified and their constituencies:
1) A. Amarnath Reddy: Rajampet
2) G. Srikanth Reddy: Rayachoti
3) Konda Surekha : Parakala
4) Balineni Srinivasa Reddy : Ongole
5) Dharmana Krishnadas: Narsannapet
6) Golla Babu Rao: Payakaraopet
7) B. Gurnatha Reddy : Ananthapuram
8) K. Chennakesava Reddy: Yemmiganuru
9) Mekapati Chandrasekhar Reddy: Udayagiri
10) M. Prasada Raju: Narsapuram
11) M. Sucharitha : Prattipadu
12) Pilli Subash Chandra Bose: Ramachandra Puram
13) K. Srinivasulu: Railway Koduru
14) Pinnelli Ramakrishna Reddy: Macherla
15) Tellam Balaraju: Polavaram
16) Kapu Ramachandra Reddy: Rayadurgam
Vacant seats due to resignations:
1) Sobha Nagireddy: Allagadda (Resignation Accepted)
2) K Chiranjeevi (Tirupati)
3) Nellore Lok Sabha Constituency: Mekapari Raja mohan Reddy resigned.