Kanimozhi is the daughter of DMK President and Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu M. Karunanidhi. Kanimozhi has been in news in recent times for wrong reasons. Her name was mentioned in the charge sheet filed by CBI in the multi thousand crore 2G Spectrum Scam. The CBI has told the special court that Kanimozhi controls the entire affairs of Kalaignar TV which received Rs 200 crore bribe from Dynamix Balwa group (DB Realty), a beneficiary in the 2G Telecom Scam. The special court is yet to announce its judgement on taking Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar (CEO of Kalaignar TV) into custody for interrogation.
Kanimozhi is an MP (Rajya Sabha) of DMK party from Tamil Nadu. She was elected to Rajya Sabha for the first time in 2007. She has been a member of parliamentary committees on Health and Family Welfare, Rural Development, Empowerment of Women, Parliamentary Forum on Children, Ministry of Human Resource Development etc. Kanimozhi is a versatile politician with interests in Journalism and Literature. She has published several books in Tamil which include Karuvarai Vaasanai, Agathinai, Paarvaigal and Karukkum Marudhani. Kanimozhi's works have been translated into various languages like English, Kannada, Telugu and Malayalam by the Dravidian University, Kuppam, Andhra Pradesh. Following is the brief profile of Kanimozhi:
1. Name of the candidate: Smt. Kanimozhi Karunanidhi
2. Parents Names: Shri Karunanidhi and Shrimati Rajathi Karunanidhi
3. Date and Place of Birth: 05/01/1968 at Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
4. Maritial Status: Married to G. Aravindan.
5. Number of Children: One son
6. Permanent Address: 14-1, First Main Road, CIT Colony, Mylapore, Chennai- 600004.
7. Present Address: C-601, Swarna Jayanti Sadan, Dr. B.D. Marg, New Delhi - 110001.
8. Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Education: M.A. ( Economics): Studied at Ethiraj College for Women affiliated to Madras University.
10. Profession: Politician, Poet and Journalist (She worked as Sub Editor for The Hindu and editor in charge of Kungumam, a Tamil weekly magazine of the Sun Group of companies. She also worked as features editor for a Singapore based Tamil newspaper, Tamil Murasu).
11. Cultural Activities: Organising cultural festivals, Sports, Clubs etc.
12. Countries traveled: Mexico, Brazil, Singapore, Italy, Australia, Chile, U.S.A., Thailand, France and Germany.